Campus Ministry > Spes Unica Retreats
Spes Unica Retreats
The Spes Unica retreat program is one of the best things we do in Campus Ministry. The words "Spes Unica" are borrowed from the motto of the Holy Cross Brothers who sponsor the school. The full motto is "Ave Crux, Spes Unica!" or "Hail the Cross, our Only Hope!" Thus, the retreat takes its direction from this motto. The retreat has a definite Catholic flavor, however non-Catholics are welcome to attend — and many do!
A Spes Unica retreat consists of spending a weekend away from the pressures of the world, usually at the beautiful Lindenwood Retreat Center located at Ancilla College in Donaldson, Indiana. A Spes Unica retreat has four main objectives.
- ...their own lives and personal character
- ...their relationship with God
- ...their relationship with other people.
- ...in addition, the retreat is intended to be a fun way to meet other people.
The retreat is both serious and light. We have a lot of fun and make new friends, but that is not the main reason we go. We go to encounter God. If you want to know more, simply ask any student who has gone!
What to Expect on a Spes Unica Retreat
- Hear from people who strongly believe in the Catholic faith.
- Be encouraged to take small risks.
- Be expected to be open and sincere with the people in your group.
- Have the opportunity to grow in your knowledge of the faith.
- Be challenged to look honestly and seriously at your moral character.
You Will Not:
- Have to participate in anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Be expected to share anything too private or personal that you don't want to share.
- Be expected to have great religious knowledge or spiritual insights.