Recommended Computer Configuration
We recommend a modern desktop or laptop computer for the bext experience on campus. A guidline for minimum specifications would be:
- Processor: Intel i3, i5, i7
- Memory: 4 GB RAM or more
- 100 GB hard drive or more
- Windows 10 is recommended. Windows 7 and 8.1 are still supported on campus. Older versions of Windows should be avoided.
- Macintosh OSX/macOS version 10.8 or greater is required.
NOTE: Holy Cross College is a Windows campus. While a Macintosh (or Linux) computer will work fine for everyday needs, you should know that all lab, classroom, and faculty/staff workstations run a Windows operating system. Additionally, support on campus for Macintosh computers may be less robust should you encounter hardware or software problems.
Recommended and Required Software
- Antivirus software is required for all Windows computers. Our Network Access software supports most antivirus, including free offerings from Microsoft, AVG, Avira, Avast, and others. You will not have internet access without properly functioning antivirus software. We also recommend antivirus for Mac computers.
- Microsoft Office 365 is recommended for all students, and is available for free through the College.
- Portable wireless devices with access to an internet browser are allowed to use the wireless network on campus after supplying your network credentials in the internet browser, including iPod, iPad, iPhone, Android devices, Blackberry, and more.
- Game Systems (Xbox, Playstation, etc.) and media devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) will work on our network but need to first be registered. Click here for device registration information.
- Wired and wireless routers, hubs, switches, airports, and similar devices are prohibited on campus.
- Subwoofer speakers are prohibited in the residence halls.
- Personal wireless printers may not use the campus network.
Computer and Software Discounts
Holy Cross College participates in the Dell University program. Through this program, HC students, faculty, and staff can receive a 2-12% discount on new computers and computer equipment based on the warranty chosen and price of the system. Click the link below to browse items in their online store.