Angel Cortes, Ph.D.
Office: Vincent 197
Email: Click here to email Angel
* First Year At Holy Cross: 2007-2008 academic year
* Graduate School(s): U. of Notre Dame, U. of Colorado, U. of Denver
* Graduate Degree(s): Ph.D., M.A. (History), M.A. (History), M.A. (Religious Studies)
* Undergraduate School: Biola U. (Psychology)
* Undergraduate Degree: B.A.
* High School and City / State: Bell Gardens H.S.
* 'Psychology and Religion: A Legacy of Discord,' (M.A. Thesis, U. of Denver, 1995)
* 'Student Idealists and the Specter of Natural Science, 1870-1910,' (Ph.D. Diss., U. of Notre Dame, 2008)
* 'Antecedents to the Conflict between Psychology and Religion in America,' Journal of Psychology and Theology 27 (1999): 20-32
* 'The Moral and Religious Ideals of Students at Vassar and Wellesley, 1865-1900,' History of Intellectual Culture 9 (2010/2011): 1-14
* Dr. Cortes is currently working on a book examining religious change in and through Orestes Brownson (1803-1876).
* Place of Birth: Cienfuegos, Cuba
* Place(s) of childhood/adolescence: Los Angeles, Calif.
* Family Members: Marcy (wife), Bernal (son), Tobias (son), Emilia (daughter)
* Personal Heroes: mother
* Books: James Turner, Without God, Without Creed (1985); Brad Gregory, The Unintended Reformation (2012)
* Hobbies / Activities: Reading, swimming, jogging, hiking
* Foods: ethnic foods