Theo. Logos. Searching for God in the midst of our lives. What could be more important? Whether you are interested in ministry at the school or parish level, or simply want to bring a faith dimension to your career in health, business or communications, we have a program for you!
At Holy Cross College, our hope is that all of our theology students learn to embody Holy Cross charisms: by cultivating a spirit of hospitality guided by God’s reconciling call to communion and solidarity, and by demonstrating a passion for justice and commitment to service in the classroom and in the wider community.
Theology at Holy Cross provides three distinct tracks for the students to focus on their area of passion: media, ministry and teaching. The core of the program focuses on the classical theological method rooted in scripture, tradition, and church teaching. Each track also has an experiential component, so students will be able to do practical work in media, in parishes or in Catholic schools. The theology courses offered at Holy Cross are arranged according to a format that reflects intellectual development from basics to a more specialized subject matter.
Major and Minor Requirements
Michael Griffin, Ph.D
Senior Vice President
Louis Albarran, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Theology
Dianne Barlas, Ph.D.
Miguel Romero, Ph.D.
Director, Campus Ministry
Service Learning Coordinator
Fr. Michael Sullivan
10 Reasons to take Art, History, Theology 250: Rome Through The Ages
- Three-credit course offered every spring semester.
- Multi-disciplinary: can be taken for credit in Art, History or Theology.
- Classroom sessions include 2 pre-trip classes + 1 post trip class.
- Main focus = on-site all day experience: Rome and Assisi during Spring break depart Friday (Swiss Air) March 4 and return Saturday March 12.
- Hotel accommodations in heart and center of Rome: 10 minutes by foot to St. Peter’s in one direction and to Roman Forum in the other direction.
- All day guided excursions to Rome’s most famous, historic and beautiful sites and monuments.
- Includes visit to St. Peter’s square for prayer with Pope Francis and papal blessing and day trip by train to Assisi, home of St. Francis.
- Course ends with completion of trip at mid-semester.
- Unique academic and cultural experience in Europe’s most beautiful and historically important city.
- Memories (and pictures) for life!
For more details regarding the class and/or trip, visit Rome Through the Ages.
Amber Weaver, Class of 2013
Parish Minister, Diocese of Camden, New Jersey
“Theology at Holy Cross educates the mind, but certainly not at the expense of the heart. My theology studies at Holy Cross not only greatly increased my academic understanding and ability to do theology, but also enriched my life of faith.”
Ryan Ayala, Class of 2013
Youth Minister, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Goodyear, Arizona
“Theology is explored at Holy Cross through a rigorous study rooted in our Catholic and Holy Cross tradition. I see the practical importance of theology in my life because it has allowed me to have the foundational skills necessary for service to the world and the Church.”
Claire Doriot, Class of 2015
Business and Theology double major
“As someone with majors in business and theology, I want to use my knowledge in theology to help promote a form of business that is centered around Christ as well as the promotion of the common good.”
Clare Shear, Class of 2014
Staff Member, Maggie’s Place (crisis pregnancy outreach)
“Theology at Holy Cross uses real-life experiences and practical classroom discussions that apply to relevant world issues and classic questions as well. Theology has led me to work with the most vulnerable in our society, and is important in every aspect when working and living with others.”
Saints & Scholars
Chair, Department of Theology