Recommended Computer Configuration
We recommend a modern Windows or Mac laptop computer for the best experience on campus. A guideline for minimum specifications would be:
- Processor: Intel i3, i5, i7
- Memory: 8 GB RAM or more
- Hard drive: We strongly recommend a Solid State Drive (SSD) instead of a traditional hard drive (HDD). An SSD provides much greater performance and greater reliability.
- Windows 10 is recommended. Older versions of Windows should be avoided.
- Macintosh computers should have OSX/macOS version 10.8 or greater to connect to the network.
NOTE: Holy Cross College is a Windows campus. While we suggest that you should bring the computing equipment that you’re most comfortable using, you should know that all lab, classroom, and faculty/staff workstations run a Windows operating system.
Recommended and Required Software
- Antivirus software is required for all Windows computers, and strongly recommended for all Mac computers. Our Network Access software supports most antivirus, including free offerings from Microsoft, AVG, Avira, Avast, and others. You will not have internet access without properly functioning antivirus software on your Windows computer.
- Microsoft Office 365 is recommended for all students, and is available for free through the College. You can install Office 365 as soon as your accounts are provisioned, even before you arrive to campus for classes.
- Portable wireless devices with access to an internet browser are allowed to use the wireless network on campus after supplying your network credentials in the internet browser, including iPod, iPad, iPhone, Android devices, Blackberry, and more.
- Game Systems (Xbox, Playstation, etc.) and media devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) will work on our network but need to first be registered. Click here for device registration information.
- Wired and wireless routers, hubs, switches, airports, and similar devices are prohibited on campus.
- Subwoofer speakers are prohibited in the residence halls.
- Personal wireless printers may not use the campus network. If you would like to bring a printer, use a USB connection.
Computer and Software Discounts
Many retailers provide discounts for students. If you need to purchase computing equipment, the College recommends the following programs: