Office of Student Accounts

Billing and Payments
Deadlines and Extensions
Frequently Asked Questions


Office Location: 101 Driscoll Building
Office Phone: 574.239.8413

Dorene Muszer
Student Accounts Manager

Karen Bautista Dominguez
Student Services Specialist

Mailing Address:
Holy Cross College
Office of Student Accounts
P.O. Box 308
Notre Dame, IN 46556-0308

Semester Billing

New and continuing students are billed on a semester basis. For new students who meet the May 1 priority confirmation deadline, the first preliminary semester bill will be available in early June at the latest. For continuing students, preliminary semesters bills are available after registering for courses for the upcoming semester.

What is a preliminary semester bill? The preliminary semester bill is an estimate of semester charges for the upcoming semester. The preliminary bill will show deposits paid, payments made, and financial aid posted for the upcoming semester. Students are expected to settle (pay) the preliminary semester bill prior to the payment deadline. It is considered “preliminary” because the balance could change if course registration and/or financial aid offers change before the end of the add/drop period.

Students can view the preliminary semester bill on the Holy Cross Student Portal on the Business Office tab. Note that you may have to adjust “Semester Settings” to view the upcoming semester. Click here to view charges you may see on your preliminary semester bill.

Paying Your Semester Bill

There are several ways to settle a preliminary semester bill. Some students use a combination of these methods to pay the semester bill:

  1. You can pay directly within the Holy Cross Student Portal on the preliminary semester bill page using a credit card or an electronic check with routing and account numbers. There is a transaction fee assessed if you use a credit card. Checks are accepted via postal mail.
  2. You can enroll in a payment plan to cover all or part of your bill in monthly installments over the semester. More information about payment plans and how to enroll can be found here.
  3. Some families explore the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan to cover direct (tuition, fees, etc.) and indirect (books, laptop, etc.) educational expenses. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine your maximum PLUS Loan eligibility. To learn more about the PLUS Loan and to begin an online application, click here.


The fall preliminary semester bill must be paid in full by August 1, and the spring preliminary semester bill must be paid in full by January 1. Failure to meet these deadlines may result in a $250 late fee. Keep in mind that payment plans and Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans take time to process before funds are posted to your student account. Plan ahead by enrolling in a payment plan or applying for a PLUS Loan at least two weeks prior to the billing deadline.

Students may request a deadline extension in writing with the Office of Student Accounts. A request should be made as soon as it becomes apparent a deadline extension is needed but before the tuition payment deadline. Without an approved extension, a student may be dismissed from the college if an outstanding balance remains after the add/drop period.

An extension will be considered under the following circumstances:

  • Student is flagged for FAFSA verification, all requested information has been submitted to the Office of Financial Aid, but the verification is still under review; or
  • Student has applied for a private education loan but funds have not been disbursed. Students must provide documentation to the Office of Financial Aid that the private loan is approved and being processed; or
  • Parent has applied for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan and is waiting for approval or denial; or
  • Student has applied for a payment plan and is waiting for verification of the amount and approval from Holy Cross College; or
  • Student committed to attend Holy Cross College after the billing deadline

Approval of an extension request is not guaranteed and will be granted at the discretion of the Vice President of Finance. Enrollment constitutes a financial contract between the enrolled student and Holy Cross College.


A student account will have a credit balance if your payments and/or financial aid exceed direct charges. You will be notified via email when a refund check is ready to be picked up from the Office of Student Accounts. (Refund checks from PLUS Loans will be sent to the parent if indicated on the PLUS Loan application.) To use a refund to pay for textbooks, request a book voucher from the Office of Student Accounts. Book vouchers can only be used at the Holy Cross College Hammes Bookstore through the first week of classes. If you wish to credit your refund towards the next semester’s bill, please notify the Office of Student Accounts in writing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will you share information about my financial aid package and student account with my parents?
A: Only if you give us permission to do so. Your personal information at Holy Cross College is protected by a federal law called FERPA. This means that Holy Cross College cannot discuss your record with anybody unless you waive portions of your FERPA rights. If you would like to designate one or more parent/guardian as someone who can view and discuss financial aid and student accounts information, please complete the “FERPA Form” found on the Holy Cross Student Portal on the Online Forms and Web Links tab. The FERPA Form also allows you to request a Holy Cross Parent Portal so that financial aid and student account information can be viewed online and payments can be submitted by a parent with separate login credentials.

Q: What happens to my enrollment and housing deposits?
A: The enrollment deposit, which is required of all new students, will be applied directly to your student account and serves as a down payment on your preliminary semester bill. Likewise, the housing deposit for those living on campus serves as a down payment on your room and meals charges and will be posted to your student account.

Q: What is a housing damage deposit?
If you will be living in campus housing (residence hall or University Edge), you will be charged a damage deposit each year.  When you complete the room check-out process at the end of the semester, the damage deposit will be credited to your student account less any damage charges. Note that the damage deposit is included in your first room and meals charge and is not listed as a separate line item on the preliminary semester bill.

Q: I was offered Federal Direct Loans, but the amounts are less than I expected. Why?
A: When applied to your account, the loan amount will be less an origination fee, which is charged by the Department of Education. Keep in mind that you have option of accepting all, some, or none of your offered loans. Learn more about your loan options.

Q: Campus employment was listed on my financial aid notification. Why isn’t it posted to my preliminary semester bill?
A: When listed on a financial aid notification, student employment represents the opportunity, not a requirement, to seek employment. The amount listed on a financial aid notification represents possible earnings. Actual earnings will depend on pay rate and the number of hours worked during the academic year. Students are paid directly according to the monthly pay schedule; thus, payments are not posted to a semester bill on the student account. More information can be found here.

Q: Where can I get the 1098T form for federal tax purposes?
A: The 1098T form will become available on your HCC student portal account in February of each year.