Applying for Financial Aid

Submit Your Financial Aid Application (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be considered for financial aid. You must be a United States citizen or permanent resident to qualify for any federal or State of Indiana (Indiana residents only) grants and loans.

To file the FAFSA, go to: The School Code for Holy Cross College is 007263.

Before starting the FAFSA, you must create and FSA ID at Students and at least one parent of dependent students must create an FSA ID because this serves as your electronic signature for the FAFSA.

The FSA ID replaces the FAFSA PIN. Even if a student or parent already has a PIN, they will still need to create an FSA ID. Please keep your FSA ID and password in a secure place as you will need it each year that you apply for financial aid.

FAFSA & IRS Data Retrieval Process

We strongly recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval Process when completing the FAFSA ( When you use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to link to IRS, your tax information will be automatically be filled into appropriate places on the FAFSA. Since the information comes directly from the IRS, it is considered “verified” for FAFSA purposes.

The Federal Tax Return must be filed at least two weeks (if filing electronically) and 6 -8 weeks (if filing paper return) before using the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Process to allow the IRS time to process the return.

Certain tax filers may not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval.

You will not be able to use this option if:

  • Your marital status changes after December 31 of the same tax year.
  • You filed married filing separately.
  • You filed an amended return.
  • You filed a foreign tax return.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC): The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated following the submission of the FAFSA according to a formula established by federal regulations. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college during the year. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college, nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used by Holy Cross College to calculate the amount of federal and state need-based assistance you are eligible to receive. Holy Cross College will also use your EFC to determine eligibility for institutional (Holy Cross College) need-based assistance. An EFC can change from one year to the next, which is why the FAFSA must be completed annually.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR INDIANA RESIDENTS – In order to receive Indiana state grants, your FAFSA must be received by April 15th. Not filing the FAFSA by this date could result in the loss of thousands of State-funded financial aid dollars that you otherwise would have been qualified to receive. To learn more about Indiana State grants, visit