Department: Physical and Life Sciences
Reports to Supervisor: Chair, Dept. of Physical and Life Sciences
Holy Cross College’s Mission: The Mission of Holy Cross College is to educate and form global citizens with the competence to see and the courage to act. Holy Cross is a Catholic college that advances the apostolic mission of the Brothers of Holy Cross. Our practical, experiential, liberal arts curriculum applies timeless truths to contemporary life and leads people to wholeness in the image of Christ.
Our hiring practices reflect this missional commitment to be a Christ-centered institution.
Typical Schedule: This is a full-time faculty position to begin on July 1, 2021 and end on June 30, 2022.
Purpose: The Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology is a full-time, one-year position in the Department of Physical and Life Sciences. Responsibilities include teaching 12 credit hours of undergraduate Biology per semester. As with all Holy Cross College personnel, faculty members share the responsibility of enhancing the Catholic, Holy Cross learning experience for all students.
Essential Job Duties
- All administrators, faculty, and staff are called to assist students in their formation to be Christ-like students and thus must embrace and advance the Holy Cross mission of the College in all professional activities.
- Teach a range of undergraduate Biology courses, including introductory courses to non-majors and upper level major courses, including Human Anatomy, Comparative Physiology, Cell Biology, and Molecular Biology.
- Contribute to the ongoing curricular improvement of the Biology program, including the B.Sc. in Biology, assessment and accreditation.
- Participate in the life of the College by serving on administrative committees and attending important events, such as Welcome Weekend, Opening Mass, Faculty-Staff Convocation, Constitution Day, Honors Convocation, Baccalaureate Mass, and Commencement.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures, and expectations as outlined in the Faculty Handbook (available online).
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the Department and the College.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Ability
- PhD. in Biology
- Previous college teaching experience preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population.
- Positive work experience in a Catholic college environment preferred.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and physical demands required of personnel so classified. Holy Cross College is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on qualifications and are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or any other legally protected status. Interested candidates should submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three references (names and contact information) via email to Human Resources [email protected] Position open until filled.