Holy Cross Website Search

Transfer Applicants

Rest assured: you won’t feel like a transfer student for long

We want all students transferring to Holy Cross to feel like a Saint from day one. You’ll find our campus community welcoming, our faculty invested in your success, and our transfer process easy to navigate.

If you’ve enrolled either full-time or as a degree-seeking student after graduating from high school, you will apply for transfer admission following the instructions below. If you’re dual-enrolled in both high school and college programs, you should complete the First Year application requirements.

Click here for the Common Application for Transfer

There is no fee to submit the Common Application for Transfer.


Official High School Transcript

  • An official, final high school transcript must be sent by your high school directly to the Office of Admissions at Holy Cross College.
  • We highly recommend that the Secondary School Final Report be submitted with the official transcript.
  • It is not necessary to upload an unofficial high school transcript via the Common Application for Transfer.
  • A final transcript shows successful high school graduation and displays a graduation or completion date.
  • All transcripts and records must be accompanied by certified English translations when applicable.


Official College Transcript(s)

  • You will be asked to list each college and university you have attended within the Academic History section of the Common Application for Transfer.
  • For each college and university listed, download the Transcript Request Form and follow the directions to have your transcripts mailed directly to the Common Application. The Common Application also accepts transcripts via Parchment and the National Student Clearinghouse. More information can be found here.
  • Upon submission, the Common Application will share your college transcript(s) with Holy Cross.
  • It is not necessary to upload an unofficial college transcript via the Common Application for Transfer.
  • If you are currently enrolled in college courses, it is highly recommended that you complete and submit a Mid-Term Report. The Mid-Term Report can be uploaded as an “Other” type document on the Common Application for Transfer or sent directly to Holy Cross College.


SAT and/or ACT Scores -Optional

  • Holy Cross accepts both the SAT and ACT.
  • SAT and ACT scores must be sent directly to Holy Cross College. Scores submitted via the Common Application for Transfer will not be considered official.
  • SAT and ACT scores reported on the high school transcript are considered official if the transcript is sent directly to Holy Cross by the school.
  • Neither the SAT Writing Section nor the ACT Writing Section are required.
  • Holy Cross superscores the SAT and ACT if multiple tests are submitted. Therefore, it is recommended to send all tests you have taken.
  • How to send SAT scores (our SAT code is 1309)
  • How to send ACT scores (our ACT code is 1203)


College Report

  • The College Report collects information about your standing at your current or most recently attended institution. You may need to gather this information from more than one official at your institution, such as the advisor, dean, or registrar.
  • The College Report can be uploaded as an “Other” type document on the Common Application for Transfer, sent directly to Holy Cross College, or uploaded to your Holy Cross Applicant Portal.


Letter or Recommendation

You will have the option to designate teachers, employers, and other individuals who can submit letters of recommendation on your behalf. While not required, letters of recommendation are helpful in the evaluation process.

Spring 2024 Enrollment

  • August 1: Common Application for Transfer is available
  • December 1: Application deadline
  • Mid-December: Decisions released
  • December 15: Enrollment confirmation deadline

Fall 2024 Enrollment

  • August 1: Common Application for Transfer is available
  • Decisions released 3-4 weeks after application is completed
  • July 28: Common Application for Transfer closes

There are no additional applications necessary to be considered for merit scholarships. If you qualify for a merit scholarship, you will be notified in your admissions decision packet.

All domestic transfer applicants are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for state (Indiana residents), federal, and institutional need-based financial assistance. The FAFSA becomes available on October 1 and can be submitted before completing the Common Application for Transfer. To ensure the FAFSA is received by Holy Cross College, use Federal School Code 007263. Learn how to add a college to your FAFSA if you have already submitted it.

Need-based aid for international students is limited. International applicants who wish to be considered for need-based aid should submit a letter requesting review for need-based aid with the Certification of Finances. A request for review does not guarantee the awarding of funds.

Holy Cross practices a holistic application review practice. This means all parts of your application are considered when making an admissions decision, and there will not be just one reason why a student is or is not offered admission.

Academic performance and potential hold significant weight during the review process. Your college transcripts help us determine if you are prepared for the rigors of the Holy Cross College liberal arts curriculum. That being said, there is no minimum GPA or test score (if submitted) required for admission. Letters of recommendation (if provided) offer additional insight into classroom performance.

We value the gifts and talents you can bring to campus. The Experiences and Achievements sections of the Common Application for Transfer is the place for you to describe your extracurricular participation, employment history, service, leadership, accomplishments, and other background information that help us get to know you better. We also get to know you better by reading your Personal Statement. Ultimately, all parts of the application help us evaluate whether or not Holy Cross is a good fit for you.

Admission for international transfer students is need-aware.

The Office of the Registrar will review all official college transcripts to determine which courses are eligible for transfer to Holy Cross College and which courses meet core curriculum/major requirements. This credit transfer report can also be used to help determine if you are exempt from on-campus housing requirements (see on-campus residency requirements below). A maximum of 60 transferable credits can be used to meet Holy Cross College degree requirements.


On-Campus Residency Requirement

Blessed Basil Moreau, the founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross, emphasized the importance of educating both the mind and the heart. Here at Holy Cross College, we recognize that such an education does not solely occur in the classroom. Living in our on-campus residence hall community is seen as a valuable opportunity for personal growth in mind, body, and spirit. This is accomplished through providing an environment where one achieves an examined life through challenge, responsibility, academic inquiry, and service.

In accordance with our mission the college requires that all full-time, first year and sophomore students live on campus, unless exempted from this requirement.

The following first year and sophomore Holy Cross students may request an exemption from this requirement, provided they submit an exemption form no later than July 1 for those entering the fall semester and January 1 if entering Holy Cross in the spring semester.

  • Students who have earned 60 or more credit hours
  • Students who have earned 54 or more credit hours and have lived four semesters in on-campus housing
  • Students who are 21 years of age prior to the first day of classes
  • Married students
  • Documented Veterans
  • Students who are living locally with their parents or legal guardians

New first year and transfer students who have indicated that they will not be living on campus will complete a housing exemption form on their Holy Cross Applicant Portal. Requests are subject to approval.

All first year and sophomore students who are not approved for an exemption must apply for housing and will be charged full room and meal expenses. Some students may qualify for additional need-based financial aid if they were originally packaged as an off-campus student and the exemption request is denied.