History is a pragmatic discipline in which the analysis of change over time involves sifting the influences and perspectives that affect the course of events, and evaluating the different forms of evidence historians exploit to make sense of them. Teaching students how to weigh these sources and convert the findings into persuasive analysis lies at the heart of the department’s teaching.
The history program at Holy Cross offers you the opportunity to enrich your knowledge of your culture, your country, and your world through:
- Close reading of primary sources
- Intense conversations with accomplished faculty and curious peers (in classes averaging 20 students)
- The College offers classes in pre-Columbian history and Latin America, the focus is on the United States, where student can take courses from Colonial America to the United States since 1945
- Participating in an internship (100 percent of our students intern)
- Writing award-winning research papers (Holy Cross College history majors have garnered Delta Epsilon Sigma’s national Research Prize in two of the last three years)
Our students have pursued graduate study in history, law, politics, journalism, librarianship, and more. They’ve embarked on careers in archives, museums, and education, to name just a few. While their paths have varied, they all share one thing in common: they are intellectually curious scholars equipped to excel wherever their passions take them.
Holy Cross College offers history majors a track in museum studies. A curricular track is a set of courses that indicates a professional direction or academic focus to a course of studies. A track differs from an academic minor in being more flexible in its number of credits and in suggesting more of a sense of professional direction than in indicating a topical interest. A track is distinct from a concentration at larger colleges or universities that have expansive course offerings within particular academic majors.
History Major Requirements
History Minor Requirements
Core Curriculum Requirements
Professors. Mentors. Partners in historical exploration. The Holy Cross College history faculty will help you connect your curiosity and intellect with the needs of the world.
Ángel Cortés, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History